Saturday, January 27, 2007

To Wave Or Not To Wave

Last week I went to a new food junction in town. It is located on a land that was left vacant for quite some time with the ruins of a once upon a time glorious building. The building structure is pretty much like a staduim without walls and is quite spacious. There was not much in variety for food though. Most of the stalls are pretty much repetition of each other. There was quite a crowd there. As what the chinese would have said 'new toilet'. We scouted for a table and seated ourselves before proceeding to order some food.

Upon being seated I spotted someone who went to the same college as me previously. She was with someone and they were looking for a place to sit. I wanted to wave to her since we were college mates. In fact we kinda knew each other since high school in a tuition class. That is on name basis and through sight. She saw me but pretended not to know me. Then she sat at a table which was diagonally in line with mine with her back facing me pretending not to see me. So I saved my energy from waving to someone whom does not want to know me in public.

The question is if you are in my position would you have waved anyway or did the same as I had? To wave or not to wave?

I think I did the right thing by not waving. I would have looked like a fool eagerly waving at someone who has their head in the air. It is not that I idolise her or anything I was just trying to be friendly. My friend was right.We must have this thing that makes people come to us and not us going to them.

No comments: