Saturday, November 20, 2010

Disruption in Water Supply

We don't know what we've got until we lose it. This saying is really true and it applies to almost everything in life. Last night, the water supply at my place was cut off because of the upgrading work somewhere. Although we did receive notice regarding the water supply disruption, we didn't really feel the pinch till the water supply was turned off entirely.


It is during times like this that we tend to use water more (refer to pie chart below for the break down). For instance, we tend to use the loo more when there's scarcity of water. Prior to the cut off time, we were getting ourselves prepared for it. We brushed our teeth right after dinner. However, not long after brushing my teeth, I had an urge to have a drink and had a cup of coffee with some biscuits. Then I immediately rushed to brush my teeth again before the water supply is cut off. Mum on the other hand, started purging after dinner. It was probably due to the mangoes she consumed. She was in and out of the toilet several times before the water supply was cut and continued visiting the loo a few more times after the cut.


After all the purging, she was hungry and started eating again. She invited me to join her and so I did and ate too. Then dad jumped on the bandwagon and had instant noodles with additional ingredients. Well, there's a price to pay for eating during a water supply disruption. I had to brush my teeth for the third time within 2 to 3 hours using as little water as possible from a bottle that was meant for all of us. I also had to control my water consumption so that I don't have to frequent the toilet during the disruption.


After going through this ordeal, I can say that I truly feel for those having to live with no water supply to their homes. For us having to live a day without water supply is unbearable. Imagine those who don't have water supply in their homes. To them it's a daily ordeal. This episode has really jolted me out of my comfort zone and has ingrained in me the importance of water conservation. We should never take simple things like water for granted.


Found a chart on Google that breaks down water consumption.



See the toilet image? The activity that garners most water consumption with 26.8%.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

U won't know what u have until its gone...