Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Identity Thief

I received two welcome emails from Instagram. It is rather astounding as I do not own an Instagram account. Yes, as shocking as this may sound, I indeed do not have an account with Instagram. Who on earth doesn't own an Instagram account? Well, I don't. By receiving these welcome emails indicate that someone stole my identity. To put it in a more gentle manner, someone is impersonating me. So much to the extent that it's creepy. This person has a 99.99% identical email address as mine. If you are not aware, you might think that I'm that person. I was shocked when I saw the similarities with my email address. I started looking up ways to contact gmail and Instagram to get them to help resolve this. But all that I find are just disclaimers and evasion of responsibilities. It simply states that, whoever that has their identity stolen or is being impersonated should contact the respective controlling bodies of their respective countries. What do you mean by there is nothing that can be done by your company? Why are the customers not being protected? I have been using this account for over a decade or more. Everyone that sees this name associate it with me. Whatever crap that this impersonator/ identity thief post will be linked to me one way or another. I will be penalised for things that I did not do. So what are you going to do about this, may I ask gmail and Instagram? I showed the email to close friends. They too were shocked with the 100% similarities in the email address. The name was spelt exactly like mine. What should I do? Lodging a police report on matters like these is equivalent to having people tell you to just suck it up and live with it. 

  What my friend with Instagram account sent me.

No comments: